Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:30:33 -0600
From:         Joshua Van Tol <jjvantol@USWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: generator questions
Comments: To: Jim DiGennaro <limbo@BCN.NET>

> Hi Volks, > I'm still plaqued buy generator problems on my 84 bus. 2 weeks ago

Plaqued by generator problems? Maybe you should see your dentist. :-)

Seriously, an '84 van has an alternator, which is a very different beast than a generator.

> I put in a new generator because tthe dash lights failed to light and it > turned out it wasn't charging. Up until lunch today its been working

Sounds like there's an intermittent open in the dash light circuit. I'd check the connector at the dash cluster first, as those are pretty poorly designed. Also, check for damage to the printed circuit on the back of the gauge panel. In particular, check the connections to the bleeder resistor that's mentioned below. Chances are the resistor, or the connections to it have an open.

> great. Now the lights come on bright and then goes dim after I start > it. I checked to output and its right on 14.5 volts at the output stud > and 13.5 volts at the battery. The output at the blue wire is 13.5 > volts as well. I turn the key on and remove the blue wire the lights > go out. I ground the wire out and it lights up. I'm at a loss. Tech at > work said he thought that the blue wire output was only supposed to be 5 > volts. For shits and giggles tonite I checked the output of the > generator on the Syncro I've been working on and its 14 volts at the > output stud and 13.5 volts at the blue wire too. Any ideas? > > As I understand the dash battery lite system, the light gets its > ground from the generator and then when it starts charging it sends > current through the blue wire and since current is already flow in it > cancels each other puting the dash lite out.

An interesting fact for you. If the alternator does not get power through the dash light, it won't start charging. On the vw, this is tricky, since they used an led instead of an incandescent bulb. The LED, by means of a current limiting resistor, is set up to only draw ~10 mA or so. So an additional resistor is added in parallel with the led and its current limiting resistor to allow enough current to flow to start the alternator.

If you want to test this theory, wire up your own alternator light, consisting of a side marker bulb (7 W or so) connected to the blue wire terminal(L?) at one end, and to B+ on the other.

Joshua Van Tol -- jjvantol@uswest.net