Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:32:07 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Last comment on CV joints from me!

Ken brought up a good point on my stub axle removal:

kenneth d lewis wrote: > > Stuart; > Hmmmm.. I remember assembling an axle and splined stub on the > work bench and trying to install it as a unit on my 86. Due to the > suspension box and angle it would not GO IN! I had to separate them > and put the stub in by itself.

It was a while back on my '84, so I am a bit sketchy on all the details. I never tried installing the assembly, and I can see why that wouldn't work. I installed the stub axle first, tapping in it in partially and then using the nut to pull it the rest of the way. I think the joint was broken, so it swung down far enough to clear the transmission when I removed the stub axle, something I forgot about when I sent the post to the list. It should still work if you remove the inner CV joint for more clearance at that end--cramped access, but doable. Evaluate all the options, maybe drilling out the cap screws is easiest in your particular situation.

I don't remember where I got the Torx driver, but NAPA, or even Home Depot should have them. I have given up on Sears, since they never keep their stock up, and invariably what I need is sold out. As a last resort catch a Snap-On Tools truck when you see one stopped. I have done this several times when I need special tools available nowhere else. Just have your check book ready, their stuff is expensive, but guaranteed for life.

-- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext 208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://www.cobaltgroup.com http://www.casedealer.com/demo http://www.caseihdealer.com/demo