Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:08:54 -0800
From:         Larry Burt <lwburt@SPIRITONE.COM>
Subject:      Shock Brands, AC Switch

Folks

I'm getting ready to do shocks on my 86 2wd Westy, and I'm seeing conflicting views of reality from you all, so I'm trolling again:

Bilstein Front B460830/Boge Rear 26-467F from Bus Depot, $90 each plus ship, etc. Bilsteins seem to be the primo shock, but at least one lister didn't thing much of them and I'm baffled as to why the depot doesn't sell front and rear? Also the Bilstein Shock site said front is B46-0820 and rear is B46-0830. I put a set of Bilsteins on my 67 Volvo 122 wagon 20 years ago and was stunned by the improvement in ride and handling.

Koni Front 82-2100, rear 82-2101. Where can I get these, what do they cost? Seem like these are a good "second-best" to the Bilsteins.

KYBs: Front KYB345006, Rear KYB KG5557 according to Bus Depot, $27 each. Some of you love them, others disdain them.

Monroe, NAPA, Sears: $20-$30 seem to get pretty good reports.

On another subject, the other day I turned on my AC for the first time since last summer. About 30 seconds later there was white smoke pouring out from the dash near the switch. I turned the switch off and everything calmed down. Your thoughts? Replace the switch, obviously, but anything else to look out for? It worked fine last summer.

Thanks Larry Burt, lwburt@spiritone.com