Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:57:40 -0500
From:         Matthew <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      (f)Long 2000 Vanagon Westfalia Project cancelled by VW

From UPIO wire service report:

<<<picture>>> VW's Year 2000 Vanagon Westfalia Project, (prototype shown here), will not be produced.

March 19, 1999

WOLFSBURG, GERMANY-- Citing "design disagreements" with its camper production outsource, Volkswagen, AG announced Thursday it has cancelled production for the model year 2000 Vanagon Westfalia camper, destined for North American markets. This would have been the first year for production of the vehicle, which was last assembled for the US and Canada in 1991.

"This is truly disappointing to us," Volkswagen's Chief of Multi-Purpose Vehicles, Helmut Gerber said during the press conference to announce the cancellation. "Many people around the world came to expect excellence from our Westfalia Vanagon campers, and were eager for its return. Our engineers and marketing staff simply felt that the prototypes Westfalia produced were horrible."

VW had a longstanding, and unique relationship with the post-production retrofitter, Westfaliawerks, GmbH., of Hanover, Germany. Westfalia was nearly the sole provider of well-equipped Volkswagen van and bus-based campers, known worldwide since the late 1950's.

"No more! Those people are nuts! Kaput!" said Gerber. "We cannot believe they would expect any consumer to desire this conversion."

During the outdoor press conference next to one of the Westfalia Prototypes, Gerber walked around the vehicle, pointing out examples of what he called "The designs of idiots".

"First off, we are perplexed that Westfalia redesigned the 'pop-top'. The hard-polyester roofed, canvas-sided tent that extended from the vehicle's natural roofline was a Westfalia signature design, and functioned so well."

The new design eliminates the hinged, folding, and elevating mechanism for the top, fixing the original design permanently in the raised position, essentially ruining the vehicle's aerodynamics. The canvas sides were replaced in Westfalia's design with clear Plexiglas panels, making the upper portion of the van look like the Holy Father's Pope-mobile.

"We noticed the architectural trend toward cathedral ceilings, and skylights in homes," reported Westfaliawerks Gustav Klink, Direktor of Design, in a printed response to VW's cancellation. "We felt the since the Camper is people's 'home-away-from-home' it should be of the best architectural design as well as being a sound vehicle. The soaring roofline, and ample skylights gave the camper an open, airiness that is hard to find in most camping vehicles."

Gerber admonished the statement from Westfalia, saying, "I believe this dumkopf 'architectural idea' explains why they eliminated the lower bunk and closet in favor of a full-sized GE dishwasher, and a stackable Maytag clothes washer and dryer."

The doors of these appliances could only be opened once the rear seat was removed, stowed in a weather-proof sleeve, and tied down on the roof of the drivers compartment. "This is just very bad design," The VW Chief mused.

Gerber added, "In forty years, we have never heard consumer demand for a full-flushing commode and bidet in the Camper, but Westfalia incorporated one under the mechanism of the front passenger seat anyway...This is stupid, and unsanitary."

The plumbing for the bidet forced the movement of the vehicle's primary and secondary batteries to a large metal box fitted on top of the front bumper. A supplemental 350 gallon "water bull" must be towed behind the camper to supply water for the commode/bidet and other 'water-hungry' features of the prototype.

"We thought the batteries were very handy out on the front bumper," Klink responded.

Further grief from VW was heaped on Westfalia's decision to eliminate the highly-usable galley kitchen unit, which was replaced with a small, gas-fired, restaurant-quality pizza oven. "Everybody likes pizza. And what would be better when you are camping that a piping-hot pizza, fresh from the oven?" Westfalia's Klink queried in his written statement.

"This ridiculous oven adds nearly 450 lbs. to the vehicle, and eliminates the valuable refrigerator and sink...where would people keep their beer, or wash their hands in this vehicle?" Gerber asked. "We further thought the large ceiling-mounted mirror, red velvet bed upholstery, and coin-operated, vibrating upper bunk were completely out of place in our wholesome 'family' camper. The little chandeliers were a nice touch, but too fragile for family camping."

Westfalia reportedly added what it calls 'pleasure accommodations' because, in the words of Herr Klink, "Oh, come on now. What does everybody like to do after pizza and beer...?"

In this same vein, Westfalia also incorporated a small, cast-iron wood burning stove just inside the sliding door. The water-bull trailer has provision to carry approximately 200 lbs. of firewood. "I have no words for how stupid I think the design of this vehicle is," Gerber added.

"I think the final straw for us was the multi-camera, interior/exterior video surveillance system and the three-cubic-foot, floor mounted security safe," Gerber said. "Let's be serious, it is a small vehicle for weekend camping...who is going to bring jewelry or stocks for a holiday in the wilderness?"

Klink's written message retorted, "We (at Westfaliawerk) simply think that most camping families will see the utility in a large fireproof, hermetically-sealed, armored floor safe right in the middle of the vehicle,"

Klink added. "And who knows, you might forget to remove the family jewels before heading to the country, and THEN WHAT??? And what if there were a fire; heck, there is a pizza oven, a wood stove, and a gas-fired dryer within the confines of this vehicle, a fire is not out of the question, you know,"

Klink's statement added. "...the security cameras make it possible to see who is OUTSIDE the vehicle, while remaining safe and secure INSIDE," Klink responded, not stopping to consider that windows allow the same luxury.

"There is some sort of 'disconnect' in the thinking at Westfalia, perhaps they didn't take this seriously," Gerber said. "VW gave high priority to this new Vanagon project....our best minds spent a number of years de-engineering our advanced engine technology to create a fragile, under-powered motor for this new Camper. The motor had an experimental crankshaft made of JB Weld and pencil shavings, and the cam rode in special bearings that required replacement at random, unpredictable intervals. It would have been fantastic. It is a shame that Westfalia had to ruin what would have been a passable, unpredictable camping vehicle."

After replacing the motors, Gerber will reportedly keep both prototypes for his personal use.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Cary, NC USA www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free