Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:23:50 -0800
From:         Steve <Steve@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Shocks
Comments: To: Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@uws.EDU.AU>,
          "Syncro@onelist.com" <Syncro@onelist.com>,
          "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Steve, i can't tell you hpow much i appreciate your info on the knois and the Old Man Emus. There are a group of us syncro owners who are on a mission to finally get some good suspension/shocks for our vans. Right now, the only options available in the U.S. are the stock "C" boges and rear-only KYBs. I hounded OME in AUS and the us into importing OMEs for the syncro into the us. The us distributor agreed to stock them...the president of ARB called me personally to tell me they were now going to stock them. They should be in the us at the end of april. He said he had gotten numerous calls for them from South America as well. That is why I wondered whether you had tried them, since you are in Australia, where they are made, and we have been wondering how they perform. no one here knows since they have never been available here (for the syncro, that is).

I note that you mention that you had stock, but "Heavy Duty" Boges on your van. In Germany, VW offers three versions of the syncro shock: the C, M and N versions. I am informed by an AUS. syncro owner that VW initially shipped the syncros with "C"s, but later switched to the heavier duty "M"s (not available in U.S....must special order at great cost) as the standard model on the syncros because the "C"s did not last the warranty period on many syncros due to roads and usage. (My last pair of "C"s lasted less than 5,000 miles). Anyway...when you refer to "Heavy Duty" stock shocks, are you suggesting that there are also multiple versions of the stock boge available for the 2wd as there are for the syncro?

We are hoping to equip our syncros with custom bilsteins, but are having some design problems concerning the spring perch that may make the cost prohibitive since there are only 5 or 6 of us and we cannot afford to order twenty sets that may be necessary to make it economical and feasible. Custom Konis are also an option, but i was concerned about the konis because all they will offer is a twin tube design low pressure shock...arguably an inferior design to the monotube bilstein. You seem very happy with yours, however. One question....how wide is the adjustment range? Is it fairly broad....the difference between full stiff and full soft? The OMEs (not OEM) available for the syncro are also a twin tube low pressure shock, but are not rebuildable or adjustable like the konis...but they are cheaper. ($125 for the fronts $80 for the rears...konis will run $225 each fronts and $100 each rears).

I have also ordered custom Seikel-Eibach springs for my syncro from germany. I got a call today...they arrive at the airport tomorrow! I may not be able to get them till monday, though.

thanks again for the info, Steve. steve