Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:42:52 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@CWIX.COM>
Subject:      Back to flipping trans on their backs

I just encountered this reference in Deja News. You may find it with the Deja News search engine by clipping a few identifying words, then loading them as your search string between quote marks.

"Off-hand, maybe not. It's the transmission and the engine rotation, I would say.

In the 914, the engine is in front of the transmission. In the Volkswagen, the engine is behind the transmission.

Simplistically speaking, although the 914 engine is based on the Type IV motor, it is different motor.

Ergo, from a Porsche magazine where a racer used a 930 transmission, but because the 914 engine is in front of the transmission, he had to invert it to get it to work."

Months ago, I'd suggested considering flipping (inverting) Audi/VW FWD transmissions to give a wider transmission selection for Vanagon repowering projects. This approach seems especially compelling for those considering installing high torque TDI motors, since these motors make so much more low-end torque at 2,000 rpm than waterboxers. For instance, a 2.1 liter waterboxer makes about 90 hp at 5,600 rpm, whereas a stock 140 hp. 5 cylinder Audi TDI diesel makes 96 hp. at 2,000 rpm, or if you install the 173 hp. aftermarket chip, 112 hp. at 2000 rpm. (If you want a copy of the chart showing these TDI values, e-mail me at my new e-mail address, LvLearn@cwix.com, and I'll forward a copy to you.)

Does anyone know if a Porsche 930 turbo trans could fit in a Vanagon? They were 2 WD, had limited slip, and probably had better torque ratings and taller gear ratios. Would this be a suitable Vanagon match for a strong TDI diesel without going to a flipped FWD trans? Could some factory starter/ring gear fit this to one of the inline Audi/VW motors? Besides the 930 Porsche trans, what other non Vanagon parts would be needed? Anyone have ratio or torque specifications for these old Porsche transmissions?

Thanks for your insights, John

An ME student pal once said, "Trans troubles go up by the square of over-stock torque loading." Who said VWs are in no ways like Harleys?