Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:07:35 -0600
From:         Dave <dave@251.ORG>
Subject:      Trip to Colorado with new rebuild
Comments: To: Vanagon List <Vanagon@vanagon.com>

I just came back from a 2600 mile trip to Colorado in my 87 Wolfsburg Weekender. In Colorado I drove along 70, 9, 131 and 128 and a few others.. I would highly recommend 9 and 131, they are very fun drives and have a great view. It was the first big trip with my rebuilt engine, which now has 8k, and nothing went wrong, except someone broke my license plate bracket in a parking lot in Vail.

I changed the oil just prior to leaving and as of 2600 miles, roughly 200-300 miles of which on dirt roads, and one week the oil is still gold with no trace of black. This is with ~3.5 qts. Castrol GTX 10W40 and 1 qt. of Castrol Syntec 5W50. I also am using the MSDS air intake system, which worked great even on the dusty roads.

The new engine averaged apx. 19 mpg total, maxed at 23 mpg on one tank in Steamboat Springs, the worst was 17.5 in Kansas. I drove around 60 to 80 on the highways, usually about 65 mph. I also noticed I got a lot better mileage at altitude, I am assuming the thinner air required less gas and therefore ran the engine leaner and saving fuel.

I have pictures but they're not developed yet. I'll post when they're available. BTW after sleeping in my Vanagon for five nights at temps as low as 16 deg. F I'm about ready to buy one of those aux. heaters. In the mornings there was frost on the headliner and on the inside of the windows (and my feet). Two of the nights I stayed at Colorado state parks, Two nights at a KOA in Steamboat and one night in a parking lot in Vail. The state parks were my favorite, but the KOA had hot showers.

David Filcoff dave@251.org Volkswagens! www.251.org ------------------------------------------------------ 87 Vanagon, 88 Fox ------------------------------------------------------ St. Louis / Columbia, MO LiMBO - Gateway VW Club - VWoA VW Club - Missouri Micros