Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Mar 1999 23:39:34 -0800
From:         John Scheckel <jscheckel@NUTLEY.COM>
Subject:      99 Ev

Well folks. Given the current talk about EV's I though I'd share my recent endeavor into the purchase of one. After 'enjoying' my van for several years I had the great idea of looking into purchasing the 99 EV after seeing one on a car carrier on the NJ turnpike. I live in northern NJ. I checked a few dealers and discovered that they are available here. As previously posted by others they are available in 3 basic models, MV which has the rear facing seats, table and bed, MV weekender which has the above plus the pop up top (sleeps 2 on top), and the standard van which has 3 rows of seats for 7 people. They are pricey, 30K for the MV, 36K for the weekender. No dealer had one that they would let me drive as they were all special ordered. The catch was I wanted a manual trans. I was told that none were available, so I checked this out with an overseas realative who could look into EV's in Europe. My hopes for an EV with a manual trans direct from Germany have been squashed as the 'offical word' has it that you can't have it your way, only ours. I'm crushed. What follows is the direct message from Germany about the availability of getting one there and shippping it here, with or without a manual trans.

I just got a call from the director of public relations at VW in Wolfsburg. It was an unusually friendly conversation, during which he told me that a) the Sharan is made in Portugal, not Spain, b) he had never heard of the Euro Van, c) it definitely isn't made in Europe, d) the American (North & South) VWcorporations act completely indepentdently of VW Int'l - including product design, marketing and often production (the Jetta and the Audi A4 are made over here) - e) even those few things they do make to US specs over here can't be bought here, f) anything with US specs is cheaper over there (I know this is a contradiction to e), but it is exactly what he said) and g) the besthe could offer in that class is the Sharan or the Opel equivalent which is cheaper. We talked about the possibility of putting a manual transmission in the EV, and he said that since automatics dominate the American market, he doubted that the American VW would put in a manual, though he could definitely understand preferring a manual (but then, what German wouldn't?). Like I said, it was really friendly and all, but the bottom line remains the same. At least now it's very official.

Maybe the info will at least make an interesting post to your VW chat group.

I hope this helps any one out there who may be looking onto the same thing. I'm sticking with my van for many more happy years.

Happy motoring; John S