Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:07:29 EST
From:         Keith Olsen <VintagePkr@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Solenoid for parts or Bushing?  opinions please!
Comments: To: skjeflo@telebyte.net

I have read many suggestions regarding my starter question post a while back. Here is a little history that might help. My 87 auto GL originally started fine all the time until the winter came. When the nights started to fall below about 20 degrees at night the van which was not garaged would not turn over in the morning. The lights would dim when the key was turned and I'd hear the apprpriate fuel pumps turning, but no starter engagement sound. After warming up, it eventually would turn over. This could either be accomplished in one of two ways. Either I would try and start it at 5 minute intervals and the resistance heat of the tries would warm it enough to start it or, I would wait until the sun shone into my van's back window and remove the engine lid and let the greenhose effect work for me. Either one would work. But it needless to say, It wouldnt have made a good volunteer firefighter transport vehicle.Planning ahead before use was required. I explained this to my friend who is quite a competent Saab mechanic and he suggested we pull the starter and check it for moisture. Sure enough, after getting it out and apart we discovered rusty moisture all over that plunger unit. We actually cleaned it out and replaced the pitted plunger with one from a starter that I had from an old 79 bus. It worked right off the bat, however, I soon found out that if the starter was used many times (like 3 or 4 starts in an hour) it would need an hour or so to rest before it would start again. This would no longer happen first thing in the morning no matter how cold it was. However now it was doing it while hot. I tried a slight tap with a small hammer on the solinoid while turning the key and that worked onhe starter? The solenoid only? This elusive tip bushing that I've heard mentioned?

or... does some fellow listee have an old starter laying around the workshop with busted teeth or something that I can swipe the solenoid side for parts from? Any help appreciated. Keith 87 Wolfie GL