Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:52:08 GMT
From:         Malcolm White <malcolm@WHITE.IE>
Subject:      Few interesting things....

Had a bad day today with my '88 Syncro. Firstly, the exhaust decided to break (after a 300 mile journey and 30 minutes from my departing ferry!) but a roadside repair and 3 wire coat-hangers got me back on the road again.

Got back to Ireland and noticed a mild 'grating' when pulling away, whilst releasing the clutch. I'm wondering whether it could be my thrust bearing on the way out? I'm wondering whether now might be a good time to consider the I-5 swap rather than sink more money into the exhaust and clutch bearing etc (which was changed quite recently!)

Does anyone know of a UK source of Syncro exhausts (it's all pretty rusty...and don't say Just Kampers as they don't have one in stock).

Anyway, as I was coming off the ferry, I was following a German van that had a strange rear door arrangement. Firstly, I thought that they had left the rear door open but upon further inspection there is an angled fibreglass panel that allows the door to close at the 5 o'clock position rather than 6 o'clock. It did look strange but I guess that it offers more storage space.

I had my BFG ATs fitted to my Mercedes alloys yesterday (7x15) and was surprised to find that the stud holes in the wheels were too small! I now have to get them reamed out to fit. This is the first time I've heard of the actual stud holes being a problem; centre caps maybe!

Could somone advise me of the thread sizes for the Syncro so that I can get some 60 degree taper nuts to fit these new wheels?

Regards, Malcolm -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Malcolm White Templeogue, Dublin 6W, Eire Tel: (353) 1 490 7246 malcolm@white.ie / rides@balloons.ie http://www.ftech.net/~balloons -----------------------------------------------------------------------