Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Mar 1999 18:54:58 PST
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Techroline, Skylights and Refrigerators

Volks -

I'm still recovering from the trip from Atlanta. The financial recovery might take longer <G>. The '87 Westy is running fine around town. A little stiff, which I suspect is due to the no-name shocks being the wrong ones.

I probably won't have another chance to take a more than 2 hour drive until summer. If I get the chance, I will try to have the ECU which was replaced in Colorado Springs tested in another Vanagon before then. Who knows, I might have one to sell?

Various and Sundry points raised by the latest digest.

>From: Lee Tucker <tucker@SPIRITONE.COM> >subject: oregon plate types > >Hello all, >Once again I have a question for oregonians. We are needing to get >oregon plates (for the first time) for our 86 westy. When I went to >the >DMV they decided it was a motor home because it had a stove. Is this >true and is there a way around it? are most of the westys around here >plated as motorhomes? <SNIP>

I save about $140 a year on insurance (American States Ins) because mine is classified as a motorhome. Costs me $10 a year more for the sticker.

Someone mentioned Techroline, which is a good product. That reminded me that when the VW dealer in Casper, Wyoming was putting the AFM wiring harness on my '87 he mentioned that they do not recommend using a good engine cleaner like Techroline more often than twice between oil changes. He claimed that the residue doesn't all burn up, and that the rest ends up in the oil. Enough can make it acid enough to damage bearings. Interesting, if true. He also recommended putting it in when the tank is empty, filling on top to thoroughly mix it in. Another suggestion was to do this when you are doing city driving, because the engine is regularly shut off, letting the parts 'Hot Soak' in the cleaner, supposedly more effective than highway driving. He threw in a free bottle of VWs cleaner, so I was happy to listen.

A Skylight question. I just took mine off to apply a bead of silicone around the outside in a effort to eliminate a leak. We'll see how effective that is. The little bearings on the end of the arms are both broken, so it does not go up and down well. Any suggestions for a replacement without buying a new skylight?

Looks like my next job is to pull the refrigerator. It works OK on electricity, but not gas. I tried compressed air into the water drain and vacuuming out the air vent, but all I get is a spark. With my '83, when it's not cooperating, at least I get a flare of gas going off, followed by darkness, so I suspect this one isn't getting any gas. Plugged orifice, maybe?

If I do that, I think I will look into replacing the cooling fan while it's out. Has anyone put additional insulation around one of these? I don't imagine there is much room, but even a thin piece of foam board (well away from heat sources) would help. How about this NASA insulation?

Mike Finkbiner