Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Mar 1999 09:34:15 -0500
From:         Bob Stratton <rslist@SDII.COM>
Subject:      Does refrigerator lamp work on AC too?

Hi all,

Since it's threatening to warm up around here (near D.C.), I decided to give the equipment on my new '89 Syncro Westy a once-over.

I decided to fire up the infamous Dometic RM182 and to check out the veracity of my dealer's instructions regarding starting the refrigerator. Since it's such a pain to light, he suggested running it on 12V for about 30 minutes, and then lighting it. I've rewired the coach battery connection so that I can run the accessories off of the Optima even with the engine off. It requires a little more vigilance than the default wiring scheme, but I like it.

To my surprise this starting procedure seems to work really well. One thing does concern me: On the flare panel for water level/voltage, there's a little light that indicates the refrigerator heating mechanism (either electrical or LP) is on. Mine comes on for 12V and for LP, but not for 110V AC. I couldn't find anything in the manuals that said it wouldn't light for AC.

I didn't have time to leave it plugged in to AC to see if it got cold. I did check the voltage on the "hidden" AC outlet, and it looked o.k.

Is this light supposed to work when running on "shore power?"

Thanks, --Bob, KE4GDC 89 Westy Syncro GL