Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:03:15 +0200
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: 99 Ev
Comments: To: John Scheckel <jscheckel@NUTLEY.COM>

Once again, I would like to comment on a couple of things.....

John Scheckel wrote:

> > I just got a call from the director of public relations at VW in > Wolfsburg. It > was an unusually friendly conversation, during which he told me that a) > the > Sharan is made in Portugal, not Spain,

Correct

> b) he had never heard of the Euro > Van,

Is this guy working for VW??? Ask about the Caravelle, Transporter or T4!!!!

> > c) it definitely isn't made in Europe,

BS! The Eurovan is made in Hannover, Germany

> d) the American (North & South) > VWcorporations act completely indepentdently of VW Int'l - including > product > design, marketing and often production

Not completely independent, but almost....

> (the Jetta and the Audi A4 are > made > over here)

BS again!!!! The Audi A4 is only built in Germany, Audi's only factories outside Germany is in SA, for the SA/African market, and in Hungary, where they produce the TT

> - e) even those few things they do make to US specs over here > can't > be bought here,

Passat, Eurovan are both being produced in Germany, to US specs, and you can buy them both in the US!!! If not, why make them to US specs???

> f) anything with US specs is cheaper over there (I know > this > is a contradiction to e), but it is exactly what he said) and g) the > besthe > could offer in that class is the Sharan or the Opel equivalent which is > cheaper.

Opel Sintra, or as you US guys know it better, the Chevrolet Venture, the Oldsmobile Silhouette, or the Pontiac Trans Sport. BTW, neither the Sharan or the Opel Sintra is available in the US, so this guy must not have known what you were talking about, or where you are located. BTW2, this is a VW guy recommending an Opel, a GM product???? Arrrggghh!

> We talked about the possibility of putting a manual > transmission in the EV, > and he said that since automatics dominate the American market, he > doubted > that the American VW would put in a manual, though he could definitely > understand preferring a manual (but then, what German wouldn't?).

It shouldn't be a problem getting a manual trans for the VR6, as it is available in Europe this way. Your problem is talking VWoA into getting you one.

Sorry for steaming off like this, but statements like the ones from this VW official just makes me sooo angry.

PerL 88 Syncro