Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Mar 1999 21:34:31 EST
From:         PZendzian@AOL.COM
Subject:      help

Ok, I'm here and have a problem. First of all, this is comng from my alternate email account, my primary is on the bottom of the email I have a rebuilt 1.9 with a 2.1 camshaft (supposed to gine a little ore power). Where should I set the timing? as a 1.9 or a 2.1? Ok another problem. at the 1.9 timing, there is no power and bad hesitation below 2000 rpm and about 12mpg, if I set it to 5 deg after TDC, approx 2.1 l timing, I can get 18.5 mpg and there is good power. tho pnly problem is that the engine wants to cut out when in drive... (oh ya, it is an auto tranny) If I turn the A/C on, the engine will cut out. I can raise the idle RPM up to help the problem but then the engine hunts (RPM up and down) when decaleratind and right after starting and while in nuetral, gas mileage goes to about 16.5-17.5 mpg. I have tried the capacater fix with everyting set properly with the timing advanced to 5 deg after TDC and it helped a bit, but the engine still wanted to cut out and with the capacater, the engine intermittently hesitated from a dead start after sitting for a moment. Havn't tried the capacater with the timing set properly to 1.9 l standard setting or with the A/C yet. Help, this is frustrating. I am thinking that there may be a problem with the AFM or the Temperature Sensor II. Any ideas out there in vanagon land?

Pete 83.5 Vanagon peterz@gte.net