Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 1999 00:22:11 -0500
From:         Dave C <cdcaston@NNI.COM>
Subject:      welcome to the list (was Re:anybody out there?)
Comments: To: Karibel@aol.com

>hi, >this is the first list i've ever subscribed to and i'm not sure exactly how i >access it. ok, i have no idea. i read the confirmation stuff but...? could you >help me? >kari

Welcome to the list Kari, It's not so much a question of you accessing it , as it accesses you! When you see the true amount of volume on this list you will understand. It also gets quite addictive. No posts, and I start having withdrawals. Without knowing how much computing experience you have I'll keep it basic.

The list is administered by Ron Lussier and David Marshall. They are in CA and Canada respectively as I understand it. But that doesn't much matter. What does matter is that you enjoy your time on this list. It can save you a lot of $ and enable you to talk more intelligently with your mechanic if you don't turn your own wrench. When you get comfortable with the list, there are lots of commands you can use to access files on the server, toggle receiveg mail off temporarily during absences without unsubscribing, and such but don't worry about that too much for now.

Simply add the list's e-mail address (vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com) to your address book and hold on. When replying to a post you can reply privately (called p-mail), publically (send new message to the list with clip of the e-mail yourresponding to), or both (by using reply and then adding the list address in the cc: area) CC: means carbon copy, BCC: means blind carbon copy. I'll tell you what those do some other time.

There are a lot of really knowledgable folks on this list and a few that aren't. You'll sort through them. There are a little over 700 folks on the list, most (644-ish last I checked) in the US. We have one as far away a the Phillipines and even Austrailia I think. So, lots of folks all with one thing in common, VW Vanagons. Fridays are "whatever days" with jokes and the like being passed about without Vanagon content being necessary. If you don't like something, delete it and don't bellyache about it. Don't like what a particular listee has to say most of time-filter them with your e-mail program, most allow for this.

BTW(by the way)--You'll also see lots of acronyms for things, I haven't seen a complete listing of what they all mean yet but it's fun trying to figure them out. Here are a few of the most frequent: FWIW (for what it's worth) IMHO (in my humble opinion) FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) BTDT (been there done that) flaming (telling how you really feel about a subject, letting it rip, no hold barred, etc)

Start with a short intro to the list about where what you drive how long etc. Before long you'll have the hang of it.

Later,

Dave Caston & Sherrie Payne Allentown,PA zzzzzzzzzz__ |E[__] [__]|[_]\\ | _DC&SP | _ || * * * =-( )---------( )--=