Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Mar 1999 07:11:56 -0500
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air Cool Pushrod Tube Install
Comments: To: John Reynolds <kayakjr@JUNO.COM>

John--

If I were a betting man, I'd put this week's paycheck on one of the following...you:

a) have the wrong seals on the tubes (there are two different sizes differentiated by color in the kit). b) Have the wrong sized replacement tubes. There are two different sized tubes, and (I'm NOT positive on this) I think I recall that the larger of the two sizes WILL fit in the (small version) hole without its O-rings OFF, but not with them on. Does that make sense?

Last word of caution. I have never (in dozens of type4-type2 motors) had to force these tubes in with any sort of tool. If you have the bores lubed, and new seals, they should PUSH in with firm, rotating pressure from your hand on the tube.

I would advise you NOT to "hammer" them in with vice grips, or a washer, or whatever. The seals, and seal carrier groves on those tubes will never leak if they are clean and straight. One little bit of crud, or little bend in the groove can cause an Exxon-Valdez-like oil leak.

Cheers- G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Cary, NC USA www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free

-----Original Message----- From: John Reynolds [SMTP:kayakjr@JUNO.COM] Sent: Sunday, March 21, 1999 10:22 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Air Cool Pushrod Tube Install

Help! - I just can't get seem to get the these things to seat properly. The Haynes and Wilson book just says push them in, but it ain't (at least for me) that easy. Muir says to use visegrips on the tube and bang them - Well I'm not going to follow that route (although that was necessary to remove the originals) These are new tubes, seals and I lubed them. I put a large washer on the end on the tube and banged that, put even still, it just doesn'e seem to go in as far as one wihout seals installed

John Reynolds 81 - Westy

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]