Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:19:50 +0100
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Car-top carrier advice needed
Comments: To: Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>

Max/Joyce Wellhouse wrote:

> I must admit, I've never seen a sears sbox on top of a vw > bus/vanagon/eurovan. Although it wouldn't be a bad idea for carry all our > wet smelly paddling gear after a river trip. I've never understood how > those things stay on the average car with just those littlle rain gutter > hooks. Anyway, I digress.... >

Many cars drive around with these boxes here in Northern Europe. Nicknamed "Ski-boxes", they were originally designed to allow for an aerodynamic way of bringing your skis on a roof rack, in addition to the fact that your skis are locked inside the box. What very few people consider, is the altered driving characteristics of a fully packed box on the roof. I saw a swedish car mag's tv-programme, where they tested the effect such a box has on a cars stability. With the test car, a Volvo 850 Wagon borrowed from the Volvo factory, they put it through a slalom test, without the box. The car did about 75 kmh. Second, they mounted the box on the roof, leaving it empty. This particular box weighed in at about 25 kgs, if I remember right. The speed through the cones fell to 72 kmh. Third, they loaded the box up to Volvos specified roof load limit, which were 100 kgs. They entered the cones at 70 kmh, and to everybody's surprise, the car rolled over, coming to a halt on the roof after one and a half roll. The box was shattered, and the sand bags used for weight were everywhere, and the car was totaled. Still these boxes are allowed for use on cars. I've never seen these boxes tested in a head-on collision, but I fear a projectile coming from the top of your car, if the box is fully loaded. I will not say that you must never use these boxes, and that all of them are dangerous, but I want to put the light on the car's altered driving characteristics, and that you keep in mind that you have the box on the roof of your car, and drive safely.

PerL 88 Syncro