Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Apr 1999 02:07:03 -0500
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: mom's USA trip: your advice  NO VANAGON CONTENT
Comments: To: "David..M" <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM>

Guns, or any other weapon for that matter, are sort of like fire extinguishers. You dont need one very often but when you do you need it in a BIG hurry. If you are going to have one for self-defense you need to have it where you can get to it quickly but having it where you can get to it quickly is also likely to be a violation of law. As a general rule of thumb it is safe to say that the carrying of a firearm in such a way as to make it useful for self-defense on the road is also an illegal way of carrying it. An exception to this is, of course, if you are in your home state and have a valid CCW license. Should you carry one? That is up to you. There is risk involved in carrying one but there is also risk involved in NOT carrying one.Either way it is YOUR risk we are discussing here and YOUR decision as to how you are going to handle that risk. What others have said here about people never getting hit after traveling XXX years and such is true but it was also true about all the folks you hear about on the 6 o'clock news. They never got hit either, until they did. Folks can cite the odds all they want but the simple fact is that SOMEONE is going to win the lottery and someday that just might be you. You must measure these things for yourself and act accordingly. If you decide to have one then have one but get some basic training with it and PRACTICE. Not just shooting it on a range but drawing it from the places you decide you are going to keep it. And THINK about those places. Find out about the law regarding self-defense; when the law permits the use of deadly force. Sit in the van and PLAN things out beforehand (If "this" happens then I will to "this"). No need to become a "Doc Holiday"; the point is to have a plan so that if something does happen you will be less likely to panic because you will have already put yourself through the situation if only mentally. Back to the fire extinguisher again. The time to think how to use it is BEFORE it is needed because neither the fire nor the criminal is going to wait for you to figure things out. Sounds like and IS a lot of work but it is NECESSARY if you decide to carry. If you are not prepared to do these things carrying is likely to do you no good. Simply having a gun does not make you armed any more than simply having a banjo makes you a musician. Regarding the legal aspects of carrying. Search the court cases involving actual people who used an illegally carried gun in self-defense. You will find that these folks are rarely prosecuted for their illegal gun for the simple fact that the DA does not wish to look like a damn fool by trying to convince a jury that the defendent should not have had the gun that saved his life. Of course, if this defendent had been found to have the gun just BEFORE the crime he WOULD have been prosecuted even though his need for the gun would have been amply demonstrated just a few minutes later. Most gun laws are like that. Laws demanded and passed by people who see themselves at little risk. Ted Kennedy is a case in point. There are few who more ardently persue gun control yet he himself is constantly surrounded by armed body guards. Few of us have the luxury of tailoring the laws to permit ourselves to do as we like while denying the same to others. Most of us must examine the laws and judge for ourselves if they are reasonable in our own situation. That old saw, "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6." applies here. Like I said before; there is risk involved in both carrying and NOT carrying. Either way you choose you face the possibility of unpleasant consiquences. You yourself must judge the risks you are most comfortable with and act accordingly. Either way you choose you have my blessings.