Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:25:30 -0800
From:         John Scheckel <jscheckel@NUTLEY.COM>
Subject:      Re: unpleasant surprise
Comments: To: Rick Koller <rkoller@HELIX.NIH.GOV>

Rick Koller wrote: > > Hi vanagonians, > Here's a new one for the List (at least I havn't heard of this particular > problem before!) I'm helping a friend with getting her '85 westie back on > the road. Origially we thought she needed a new engine based on the > recommendation of her regular mechanic. I extracted the engine and took a > good look at it and decided that it probably only needed head gaskets and > JB Weld. I gathered all the parts etc for the project and have reassembled > the engine but not reinstalled it at this point. I used a new tube of OEM > VW head gasket sealant from a dealer on the rubber gasket. I have noticed > that the stuff has not set up and become dry and flexible after 3 days. I > also tested it on another surface exposed to the air overnight indoors, it > was still was wet and runny. I believe that this sealant was too old and > now I have to disassemble and reseal the heads again :=( . Hopefully I can > clean this bad stuff off the gaskets and reuse them. I was thinking of > using alcohol to clean off this sealant. What do you all think? Thanks. > > Rick Koller > '90 syncro-westie > '91 auto box benzine may be a better choice for a cleaning agent.

good luck. John S