Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:51:13 -0500
From:         Gordon and/or Cecilia Bonham <bon@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Air Conditioner/Radiator Fan

I'm having a/c problems with a "90 Vanagon Westfalia that I have owned about a month. The local a/c mechanic replaced the receiver/dryer and the expansion valve and the a/c cooled fine for a few minutes than cut off completely. The 50 amp fuse had blown and had melted the plastic support on the right hand side. The 50 amp fuse was replaced with a 50 amp circuit breaker that will reset itself after cooling. The mechanic believes the radiator/evaporator fan to be drawing excessive current. He has measured it as being in excess of 32 amps. The a/c normally remains operational while the vehicle is in motion if the thermostat setting is kept low. Stopped and with the thermostat setting at medium to high the 50 amp breaker opens within five minutes or so. The mechanic says that my only options are to live with it this way or buy a new fan. Comments on this will be appreciated. I have only found one source for a fan and the price is $495. If I was positive that the fan was the problem I would go ahead and buy a new fan. Any recommendation for a source would be appreciated if it is determined that the fan is my problem. I'm not currently subscribed to the list so please reply to bon@bellsouth.net I appreciate the help I have received from list members and have had satisfactory dealing with the "Bus Depot", "Go Westy" and "The Skylight Guy" Gordon Bonham (In a/c country--North Florida)