Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:10:04 -0600
From:         Joshua Van Tol <jjvantol@USWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: How to measure piston length??
Comments: To: al brase <braseelec@FORBIN.COM>

> > Tom: > If you have long AND short rods I don't think you have 2 two-liter > engines. Two liter engines have shorter rods so that they put all the > extra 5mm. stroke at the bottom of the cylinder and not at the top and > bottom both. (71mm.-66mm.=5mm.) > I'm sure you could use a calipers to measure the distance top of pin > hole to top of piston. This should help you compare pistons. While > you're at it measure the diameter. 2-liter's are 94mm, 1.8's 93mm. bore. > Measure across the skirt perpendicular to the pin. > Al Brase > 69 double cab

Al, there is some variation in rod and piston length. Perhaps on the order of 0.010"? If anyone has ever actually done this, perhaps they'd care to send in some numbers? What Tom is trying to do is match the "short" pistons with the "long" rods, giving approximately equal assembled lengths. This is a blue printing trick, and isn't really necessary for a normal engine. However, it's free, and it may help the smoothness, longevity, and power output of the engine. Albeit by a very small amount.

Also, there's another way to tell a 2.0 liter rod from one for a 1.7 or 1.8. 2.0 liter rods don't have a balancing pad on the small end, while the 1.7's and 1.8's do.

Joshua Van Tol -- jjvantol@uswest.net