Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:36:10 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      have fun--was: Mom to travel across U.S.: advice?
Comments: To: "Karibel@AOL.COM" <Karibel@AOL.COM>

Kari-

A bit of reference?

Not that long ago, I took a trip to CA from NC (and back) in a 1976 VW bus with four other people, about 500lbs of luggage, in July. Incidentally, the first & second gear (in the transmission) broke the day before we were to leave. We took the trip with only 3rd, 4th, (and reverse) gears. It was a trip I didn't want to miss, but wouldn't I want to repeat.

I've been across the USA in VW's a dozen times or more?

With all that in reference, I am on the fence about you taking the kids on a cross-country trip solo in a 1990 Vanagon. Half of me is screaming, "Kari, you HAVE to go?even if the van blows up, you will have an adventure that you and the kids will never forget?.GO!

The other half of me would urge you to prepare for the worst if you must go. Unlike the air-cooled VW's which almost anybody, anywhere would *try* to work on, and might succeed, the water-cooled Vanagon has some finicky shortcomings which many mechanics have "heard about", so now they don't work on them. Some great majority of those who are *willing* to work on them, don't have the knowledge they need to do so effectively.

While 60k isn't that many miles on most automobiles, 60k is about the time that the Vanagon can turn into Van-AGONY, if very specific maintenance procedures have not been followed in the preceding 60k. Do you know this Van's history?

I am (obviously) one to take a risks. However, recent news events leave me abhorring the thought of you three women stranded in a broken van, at the mercy of the passerby.

If I were you, I would have the van thoroughly reviewed at the DEALER or other VW-Trained technician. Let them know your plans. Don't count on MIDAS or Jiffy-Leak's '22-point safety check'. The Vanagon is a good vehicle, but it can have some dastardly tricks up its (piston) sleeve.

Then, just to be on the safe side, carry a cell phone. They are cheap, and airtime can cost less than regular long-distance on a pay phone. Set up contact with a relative or friend. Call them each day when you "break camp" and let them know your destination for the day, and when you intend to be there. Once you arrive, check in. It could keep you and your family feeling safe and connected. For the fun of it, have the person you call record the call, so as you tell them of your misadventures, you will be recording a chronicle of your trip.

So I guess the answer is, GO! CAREFULLY!!!

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Cary, North Carolina, USA www.bulley-hewlett.com phone: 888.468.4880 (tollfree)