Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Apr 1999 08:52:17 -0700
From:         "Pollard, Matthew" <Matthew.Pollard@OREADCA.COM>
Subject:      hyper-extended drivers door. Need help
Comments: To: "vangaon@gerry.vanagon.com" <vangaon@gerry.vanagon.com>

I hyper-extended the drivers door of my 84 wolfsy. The door now opens to perpendicular with the bus. Upon investigation, the door stop on the door frame (between the hinges) was pulled out (away from the car perpendicular) a bit (1/8 inch) and the internal door stop and door strap was bent too. I pulled the ripples out of the door stop strap and bent the door stop block thing in the accident! The door doesn't want to close, but will if forced. The door will close all but the last 2 inches without force. When I removed the internal door stop the door would close with out problems. Replacement of the internal door stop & strap with a "new" one did not solve the problem. 1) when I tried to move the bus-side door stop (on the door frame between the hinges) it didn't budge at all. Any suggestions on how to "push" this thing back in place? Does it need to be pushed back? 2) I shortened the door strap -no dice 3) I put washers under the internal door stop block thing. It helped a bit but same symptoms exist.

Anybody in vanagon land have any suggestions on this problem? Anybody experience this and what they did to fix it?

HOW IT HAPPENED: I forgot to close the garage door when I was leaving one morning. I don't have an electric garage door, so I had to run out to close it. I ran out of the bus, left the door open w/o the parking brake on (engine running, so in Neutral) and the bus slowly rolled back and caught the front of my brothers truck. oops. No damage to his rig. The bus stopped when the door was perpendicular.

Thanks for the help! Matthew 84 wolfsy