Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Apr 1999 01:51:32 +0200
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Replacement Radios: Data Requested
Comments: To: "Mark B. Magee" <condor2@FLASH.NET>

"Mark B. Magee" wrote:

> Volks, > I am needing to replace the radio/cassette in my 87 -and- 91 and want to > purchase just one that is based on the original VW configuration so that > I can slide it out of the 87 (Daily Driver) into the 91 (RV) as needed. > I have not found any off the shelf radio/cassettes that use the VW four > point mounting system short of the one sold by Parts Place in Michigan, > and it is relatively expensive. I don't want to have to alter the > mounting plate/harness/antenna etc., for I will have to do this for two > vehicles. > Ideas feedback appreciated.

Hi Mark!

What I suggest you do is get two sets of ISO plugs, that are specially made for head units to car applications. These plugs are often factory mounted in both cars and head units, I know most, if not all German cars have them by now, as well as other European and Japanese cars. My 88 Syncro had some remains of them, but it was butchered by some un-knowing PO, so I installed new plugs supplied from a local FLAPS. It is one plug for power, and another for speakers. Some head unit manufacturers also have one plug for line out plugs, like Blaupunkt. The great things about these plugs are A) you can swap radio in 5 minutes B) Most head unit manufacturers also support this system (Sony, Alpine, Blaupunkt, Pioneer at least) so they are all interchangeable, and are prepared for installation by the factory. There are two different styles of antenna plugs, but adapters are available.

Good luck!

PerL 88 Syncro Arendal, Norway