Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 1999 20:22:31 -0600
From:         Jim Fritz <jfritz@DECORAH.K12.IA.US>
Subject:      2nd battery...an alternative??

Volks, I've listened to all of the various ways many of you have devised to make a 2nd battery work in your Westys. You folks are very ingenious! However, after reading the excellent post by Bill Davidson about what he did to hook up his battery in his Synchro, I knew I was in WAY over my head. So, being basically lazy, I went looking for an easier solution that might answer all of these same issues with out the headaches. I'd like your comments, roses or thorns, regarding what I am considering doing.

Basically I've found one of these sealed 600 amp lead batteries that come with jumper cables attached, a 12v DC power port, 110-v power outlet, worklight, AC charging cord, DC power inverter/charging cord, built-in cord storage, and battery level indicator. Its supposed to hold an 8-12 hour charge orver 6 months. The ad says it will power a standard house lamp for 8 hours so who knows how long you could run a cell phone or laptop?! You can store it on its side or upside down because its sealed and charge it from your cigarette lighter as you go down the road. It costs $160 so its not cheap but it eliminates the electrical engineering degree (which cost my brother big $$ and 4 years at Iowa State) and I can transfer it to other vehicles and other outdoor adventures. It looks like its about 16" X 16" X 4" and a similar one that I saw weighed about 20-30 lbs. What's your thoughts on this easy way out? Jim in Iowa 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle