Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:53:27 -0500
From:         Tonya Pope <Tonya@TEAM-M.COM>
Subject:      87 - door wires

hi all,

I finally got around to trying to fix my power door lock problems. I had them disconnected but it appears that my hatch lock is persnickery and wants to be electrically cycled from time to time or it refuses to open. My passenger side mirror and driver's door speaker have both been unpowered for some time as well. Obviously there's a broken wire (wires) in there. Now I need some "dummys-r-us" instructions on how to proceed.

I have the door panels off both front doors (passenger side for the heck of it and the fabric had come untuck). Have the wires unplugged obviously to the speakers and the mirror control thingie. I can't figure out how to get the rubber boot thing where the door meets the body to budge allowing me to peak at the wires there. Do I have to unassemble some of the dash to get at it from that side?

Specifically what's wrong when they're all plugged in: once either front door lock is actuated to locked, they will remain locked and cycle back to locked if I try to unlock them. Makes a horrible rackus unlocking/locking/unlocking if either door is opened. The only way to stop it and get it to stay unlocked is to have both front doors open concurrently.

For the powered mirror, the driver's side works but not the passenger. And the driver's side speaker doesn't work (multimeter on leads show no signal).

I'm sure the problem is a broken wire at the door joint but I just can't get to it. So, simple, step by step, how-to's for the mechanically-challenged-but-try-hard-type please.

Thanks, Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs