Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Apr 1999 21:11:44 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      wet spastic oxygen sensor

--------------------- Hi Volks, Today Chuck Hill and I got together and swapped some parts, it was a pleasant spring day everything going just right in Hannibal Mo. (home of Mark Twain and busses by the arch 15) Then on the way home I was traveling in the rain with my 87 van when it lost power and would barely run. David Paterson had described this problem back in February. Luckily I was prepared and had a digitool attached to the ecu and noted a very high 3.0 volt reading on the oxygen sensor. I pulled over and disconnected the O2 sensor from the ecu and attached a meter to the O2 sensor wire. It is kind of cool being able to work and check out the wasserboxer engine from inside the van during a down pour. The van ran flawless the last 50 miles home in open loop (O2 disconnected) I now had my meter attached to the O2 sensor and its readings would go as high as 5.0 volts when I drove through water. As the sensor dried out the reading would drop to a nominal 0.6 volts. The high readings would cause an ecu to go way lean with the mixture if it were connected. The O2 sensor on this van is a bosch sensor for the vanagon with the special vanagon connectors, no splices . The half circle splash guard was installed on this sensor also. David and several others have had problems stumbling in the rain, and David said he had higher than normal readings on his O2 sensor. The fix seems to always be replace the o2 sensor. This van has never had problems in the past in the rain. Somehow water must get inside some O2 sensors as they get older. I have no idea of the age or miles on the O2 sensor, it could be the original 133k miles. Just thinking it might possibly be a good idea to actually replace the O2 sensor when the light come on instead of resetting the light and forget it. Darrell