Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Apr 1999 07:31:36 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Virginia To Arizona
Comments: To: scbrug@mail.wm.edu

We did a similar trip in August last year. I would go down 81 and then pickup I 40 in Tennessee. That is the most direct route. I-40 will take you all the way to New Mexico. I had trouble with the heat in western Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. When I got to Texas I thought I really needed the airconditioning to work. (I had just bought the '87 Camper for a friend and the PO said that the AC worked. It was cool in Long Island so I tried to test it but I couldn't really.) I had my 90 year old grandmom with me and I thought that going through the desert with her without AC would not be a good idea. So I got the AC recharged in Amarillo (a really nice guy at the Texaco station right off of the exit. He was a Christian too and basically just charged me for the R-12 which was expensive enough). But when I got to the desert I really didn't need the AC. It was hot I guess but it wasn't the damp, sweaty heat that I was used to from southern NJ or the East. It was dry heat and wasn't really all that unpleasant. So I basically felt like I had spent that money for nothing. I would get cruise control if I were you though or bring someone to help with the driving. Also stay in the left lane on I-40 as the big trucks are always trying to pass you in the right lane and it just makes a mess. Have fun and take lots of pictures! Ken Wilford Van-Again John 3:16