Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:07:14 -0700
From:         "Vince P." <vince_pappalardo@OM.CV.HP.COM>
Subject:      Cleaning & Flushing coolant system-- Fast & Effective Way.
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Because I have been experiencing the imfamous head leak problem I have drained and bleed the cooling system in my 85 Vanagon several times. I have used the method described in Bentley as well as variations of other methods I have read on the this list. This last weekend I used a method to flush the cooling sytem that was fast and very effective and required no raising of the vehicel. The method requires you install a Coolant Flushing System Tee you can buy from many places that sell auto accessries.

Where to Install the Tee: First let me say I have have an '85 1.9 liter motor. I do not know if this will work for other years. With that said, after looking at the Bentley and the instlation directions on the Flushing Tee I installed the tee on the heater hose going into the rear of the engine on the passenger side. I installed it there because it is down stream from the thermostat. There is also a good service loop of heater hose about a foot down from this engine location that you can also easily splice into and hook the hose up to with out raising the car -- well at least for my me (145 lbs, 5' 10").

The Flushing procedure: 1) With the engine cold, hook the hose up to the flusing tee. 2) disconnect the return radiator hose going into the water pump. This is the hose that comes from the radiator to the water pump. It is the lower hose located on the dirvers side front of engine going to the water pump. Leave all other hose and caps connected. 3) Turn on the water and caputre the coolant that is coming out of the radiator hose. When the water being collected is clear of coolant and sedimaent (About 15 gallons) the system is flushed. 4) Replace radiatior hose. 5) Remove hose and install cap provided with flushing system onto the tee (if preferred, remove tee and replace with short section of metal pipe.)

Just how effective is this method: After doing the above prodedure, I checked the water in the engine by draining the two ports on the heads. I also, removed both radiator hoses individually and repeaded the procedure above with them disconnected. In all cases I saw no trace of coolant and only trace amounts of sediment. When I do this next time (hopfully in three years -- I used extend life coolant) I will use only the procedure outlined above -- the trace sediment I got from isolating and flushing the radiatior by itself is not worth the hastle.

Next week I may post a new way to add and bleed the system using the flusing tee. I experimented with water from the hose with the system back together except for removing the radiator bleeder screw and the cap on the expansion tank (not the resureviour). This worked well to fill and bleed the entire system clear back to the expansion tank. I just need to work on a container to hold the coolant that I can raise high enough to gravity feed into the system.

Regards,

Vince. '85 Westy, GL '99 Nissan Quest (Oh my god we own a non-VW Minivan)