Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 1999 01:20:20 +0200
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: New Type of CV Boot Available - 10 Minutes and boot replaced
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>

Marshall Ruskin wrote:

> Hi Everybody: > > I need your help to tell if this product will work for us. The manufacturer > says it will....... > > I have a totally torn outer CV boot (at the collar), and I was scoping out a > replacement. > > Canadian Tire (Canada's biggest FLAPS) has a replacement kit with grease and > clamps etc for $14.99, which I thought was fair. > > Then, a Corporal I know saw me and recommended that instead of that type > boot, I investigate this "split-type" boot. It's blue in color. Says he's > used them and it is the way to go. The idea is that you just cut off your > old boot, clean and push grease into your joint, and then wrap the "split" > boot around. You then seal the seam with the compound they provide, and use > the clamps provided.

This type of boot is fairly common in the Beetle, but I cant remember if it is sold to the IRS style axles. The swing (schwing) axles can use this style with great success, but on those cars the boot stand still, except for the flexing up and down.

> > > The boot is only good for outer CV joints, and will work with a huge number > of vehicles. I called the company to make sure that it will work with the > Vanagon, and they said it will, if....

> Also: ARE there CV boot styles without clamps, sort of "press-on", or am I > mistaken?

The inner and outer end is identical on all Vanagon rear axles, and that style of boot/joint is the same as CT describes as inner CV joints. The outer end of the boots are fastened with the same bolts that fasten the joint to the stub axle (look in the manual), so I do not think this one is possible to use other than on the front end of the Syncro. You'd better go for stock style.

PerL 88 Syncro Arendal, Norway