Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Apr 1999 23:51:32 -0400
From:         Paul Schiemer <schiemer@MAGICNET.NET>
Subject:      2L 914 into '81 Westy

Had a few folks repond asking about the particulars. Here's a short, probably incomplete, list of things to consider.

Basically it's the same stuff as a standard Vanagon 2L; excepting the front fan shroud, the oil filler inlet and dip stick, heads & heater boxes. Since I had the bits from the basket case original engine I could substitute as required. It's a little mix and match, but it all works out.

The fan shroud bolts on into the same holes as the Porsche version. Difference between the two is the plumbing for the hot air circulation hoses, whereas the Porsche has a wholly different array- you have to use an original housing from a Vanagon. [Well, you don't HAVE to, but it's a good idea!]

The engine bolted right on to the auto tranny without any problem, and it runs just fine. We took out the injection and brain, replacing fuel supply with a Weber 2 bbl (32/26). The clearance for the carb was about a silly millimeter from the engine cover. Had to modify the insulation (actually, tossed the old stuff and used new) cutting an opening for the carb, plus about three inches around it. Cover closes fine and there's no contact (but it's close).

Another clearance problem was for the throttle connections. It all lined up okay for the throttle shaft through the firewall, but the linkage stopped up against the body of the manifold- if we used small gaskets at the pipes into the heads. Substituting a little thicker (about 1/4") gasket (phenolic?) there we had the proper clearance for the linkage, and no problems.

At first we used the electric 'big' idle jet, which was useless. Made it run too rich and was intermittent at best. A little experimentation left us with a standard, mechanical type jet there. Works fine.

Lest I forget- switching to the Weber means you have to change the fuel pump to a 3 lb. one, and not the 30 something pound one for the fuel injection. Also, you end up bypassing all the fuel pump relay stuff mounted on the firewall (left side, up high)- instead wiring the fuel pump hot lead directly into the coil. Key on, pump on. Works just great.

I used the original stainless heat boxes, and then had to use the original heads. The new engine had Mahle P&C's already mounted- the difference is in the shape of the piston top, nearly flat on the Porsche, and concave on the Vanagons. This means a little better compression ratio, a little more horsepower, a little more torque (one would presume, I didn't test it out).

Subsequently I found that I can substitute authentic Porsche heads and heater boxes to the same engine, and will undertake that in the next week or so (sending you a note on how it went if you like). I'll have to use a Porsche exhaust though, not the Vanagon one I've got mounted now. Part of the reason is the Porsche heads are a little different in the size of the intake and exhaust valves, and seem to be a bit better finished (dunno for sure, it just seems that way to the naked eye.) This will give a little more umph. I think, best guess, it might be around 125 h.p., about a 25% increase over the Vanagon 2L (again, guessing).

The convenience of the license plate access to the oil and dip stick arangement is gone. The crank cases have a slightly different placement of the intake area. The 914 setup means you have to open the engine cover to check oil consumption and for adding- but it also means that malicious hands have no access either (depends upon your neighborhood). A little inconvenience I don't mind.

Engine tin came off the old engine but screws right in place with no mods. It is different, of course, but some pieces actually are the same (lower section mostly). I used whichever bits looked best, excepting the speciality ones.

Put the original 090 distributor in with new points and condensor, but only because the Pertronix wasn't in stock at my local VW parts dealer. It's on order and will go in post haste upon arrival.

Overall it was a pretty straight forward project, although not without a few blunders along the way (stupid stuff I'll never admit to). Although I'm proud to say we didn't have to yank it out to overcome a mistake we made! I end up with a little more HP, a little more torque, no FI problems, and a basic engine setup that I can futz with without worries or degree in auto mechanics. I might slap the rig on a wheel dyno to test for actual HP and torque, and will pass that along when I do.

Pardon that I run on with this- I'm sure I've forgotten something too. You can EMail me privately to discuss back channel if you like.