Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:29:40 -0500
From:         Frank Miller <fmiller01@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front axle rip off? - final summary

Having a bunch of people in the middle really jacks up the price, too, so don't completely blame the guy at the parts counter.. Several years ago, I was an enginer on a component (diesel glow plug controler, imagine that). Being familiar with the price our company was paying for the manufacture of the part, I gave a call to the local dealer to check the retail price - it was ten times our cost. Sounds like the public's getting ripped off until you look at the distribution chain. There were 3 companies between me & the guy at the other side of the counter, each adding their cost for handling the part & their mark-up to justify being in business.

At 03:01 PM 4/1/99 EST, you wrote: >You'll see my post on whether or not the dealer ripped you off. Now, for the >parts department. This is the way a parts counter guy at a Chevy dealer >explained it to me: The dealer buys the part for, say, $10.00. They mark it up >to $20.00 ( being conservative here). If he can sell the part for $35.00, he >keeps the extra $15.00. Imagine if all retail stores worked this way! He told >me all this while he was lounging in his brand new $45,000.00 Chris Craft >speed boat. He works at a Chevy dealer in Woodbridge, Va. I tested this one >day a Chevy dealer,when I owned a Chevy van with a 6.2 diesel. It would >regularly blow the glow plug controller every spring/fall, to the tune of >$95.00. Once, my regular dealer was out of stock, so I went to another Chevy >dealer. Parts guy had it, but said it was $128.00! I said "No way, ABC Chevy >sells them for $95.00" He then dropped his price to $100.00. Beware, dealers >are always trying to bend you over. Jeff S. > Frank Miller Alternative Business Systems Columbus OH