Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Apr 1999 20:34:10 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@ROADRUNNER.COM>
Subject:      Back Online - The rest of the story

-- [ From: John Rodgers * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

After all the hassles getting my Vanagon ready to go, the journey itself to NM was relatively uneventful. My H2O VW (license plate number) ran flawlessly the entire trip.

Left Pelham, AL (Just south of Birminham) at 6 am sharp on Saturday morning Traveling Highway 78 to Memphis, and arrived at the Travel Lodge on the western edge of Oklahoma City at 9 pm. Two events stood out on that leg of the journey. One was the endurance contest of my kidneys vs Interstate 40 while crossing Arkansas. Worst roads I ever saw. The highway is made of concrete slabs..poured in sections. Imagine hundreds of miles of ceramic tiles laid end to end, each with a bow or warp in the middle causing the edges to turn up. That is I-40 through Arkansas. Alaska Highway was silk by comparison. Would suggest avoiding I-40 thru Arkansas when traveling if at all possible.

Departed OKC at 5:30 AM Sunday morning. Arrived at my little Casita in Espanola at 3 PM Mountain Time ( 4 PM Alabama time)(CST).

The exciting events were(1) on the west side of Ammarillo, TX on I-40 I passed a HUGE stock yard/cattle feed lot. The cattle were so jammed in there and there were so many, that the HUGE quantities of urine and dung decaying produced a cloud of ammonia over the highway that was both blinding and choking. Closing windows and air vents did not help. Being somewhat asthmatic my lungs inmmediated closed up and I went into spasms of coughing and spitting up fluid. And my eyes burned. It took me over a hundred miles before I began to feel the tightness in my chest begin to relax and I could breath freely again. Some experience.

Also about TX and OK ...the country stinks!!! There may not be a cow in site , but it smells like a cattle lot.!! Had similar experience coming across Montana and Wyoming when I drove down from Alaska. You could smell-um but you couldn't see'um. Darndest thing!

In eastern NM I encountered a a herd of approx. 35 Antelope. That was a sight to see. And I saw one roadrunner.

Except for the above --- and the incredible truck traffic all the way - it was a nice trip. I did do a lot of left lane driving because the trucks would overtake me and have to pull out to the left lane so I just stayed in the left lane, thus allowing them to carry on without having to go around me .

One zinger has occurred. I suspect that from all the pounding on I-40 that it was inevitable, but I now have a "thunk" in the front end when I start, stop, or drive over a rough spot in the road. Sounds like a card board box flopping around. Don't think it's heater or blower related.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John Rodgers "88 GL driver