Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:29:22 -0500
From:         Alan Bosch <arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM>
Subject:      <F> Found on Car Talk (bus content)

Found the following while surfing thru the Car Talk (Click & Clack) web site. Have a nice weekend, every body.

Alan Bosch Phred ('88 Wolfsburg)

Rick Payne sent the following letter (response sent from mail@cartalk.com).

I would like to respond to your derogatory comments about the VW microbus. While your comments that "it was a dog of the first order, and unsafe to boot" may be accurate, I think you've underestimated the romantic and nostalgic value of the vehicle (I'm using a very broad definition of "vehicle").

Twelve years ago, my newlywed and I drove our '76 VW campervan from Oklahoma to Anchorage, AK. We took the Great Circle route through Key West, Boston, Chicago, Yellowstone, etc. We drove more than 6,000 miles in six weeks. And the amazing part is we only broke down about seven times! Here's the list...

(1) points

(2) distributor (The guy who fixed the points installed the distributor wrong and it took about 100 miles to break.)

(3) fuel pump

(4) piston, cylinder and head (A valve guide broke off and locked up one cylinder--WOW, you ought to see the smoke cloud a VW gives off when it's lost a valve guide and is turning a corner!)

(5) CV joint boot

(6) another head (The guy who fixed [4] put an 1800 cc head on my 1700 cc engine.)

(7) CV joint ball bearing (About 1,000 miles after the CV boot was repaired, the CV joint came loose while traveling down a hill going 60 [that's the only way I could get to 60!]. Somehow, we found all of the parts except for one ball bearing (about 3/4" in diameter). I still think the dog ate it. However, although we were in the middle of the Yukon Territory, we did find a gear supply store that had a bearing that was close ($1.47 Canadian).

Anybody can travel the U.S. in a Ford, Dodge or Chevy. However, what are left with when you're done? Where are the memories? What's the challenge? Driving to Alaska in that VW gave my wife and me an experience that probably matches that of those who traveled the Oregon or Sante Fe Trail. Besides, driving through Florida in a VW with Oklahoma tags and an "Alaska or Bust" sign sign on the back generates a lot of roadside conversation (like, "Do you know where you're going?")

Rick & Leslie Payne