Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:06:58 -0400
From:         "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@VOL.COM>
Subject:      EMISSIONS CONSIDERATIONS!/FRI
Comments: To: "Vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

COMRADE VOLKS - Joel Walker and I have been discussing ways to lessen the impact of driving old Vanagons which are polluting the crap out of Mother Gaia! Unca Joel just faxed me an article from his copy of one of the more popular journals he subscribes to, "GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS", concerning how homeowners & lawn-service companies are routinely "wounding" the grass of our nation, resulting in the wounded grass (AND WEEDS!) releasing some 1.6 million tons of acetone, yearly, into our atmosphere, in addition to to such neat stuff as methanol, hexanal, acetaldehyde and butatone!!! THIS, in addition to all that crap the lawn mowers used, which are "wounding" our grass & weeds, spew out into the atmosphere. What's WORSE is that whenever you much veggies, you are swallowing most of these same dangerous chemicals!

Now, Joel & I think that we ought to have a program in this country of "pollution vouchers", which could be swapped/traded for "credits". Neither of us believe in "mowing" our grass. Hell, I've been sited four times in the past five years by my town's officials for "failure to maintain lawn" at my clinic & my home. My trying to explain to them that the vegetation on my properties is for the important purpose of "carbon storage" doesn't seem to satisfy them, either.

What Joel & I figure is that by our never cutting our grass (weeds), we ARE making more of a contribution to cleaning up our atmosphere than the majority of Americans, so we should get special consideration in driving our Vanagons. Maybe a rebate on our fuel costs?

BOB - WA4RRN '85GL - "Bourgeois" http://www.yardwheat.org