Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Apr 1999 22:50:34 -0700
From:         A & C Grobey <alien1@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon engine swaps

>one thing to always remember: when you go faster with more power, you >NEED bigger brakes. move acceleration and momentum means need for more >stopping power. :( so don't get toooooo power happy. ;)

I'm not too power happy. After all, i drive a Vanagon! I just want enough power to help me merge on the highway in the morning. My Carat is an automatic which eats a little power from the Waterboxer.

>the head gasket issue seems, in my opinion, directly related to the >failure of vw dealers and vwoa to tell owners of Vanagons that they >NEED to replace the coolant every two years. period.

I knew about the head gasket problem when I bought the van so I have been good about changing the coolant every year. I was even considering a new radiator and hoses for this summer. Unfortunately, I think the owner before me had phosphate anti-freeze in the engine which did me in at 120K. My leak is so big now I can't get to the end of my driveway!

>the single-head-gasket engines, like the audi and the golf gti engines >do have a certain appeal, however. only one gasket to worry about. but >i'd still do the coolant replacement every two years in them as well. >

I put about 300K on an in-line 4 cyl so the appeal goes deep for me. I would like to find someone (a mechanic) who would be willing to do either a Subaru swap or a used (50K) golf 4 cyl or audi 5 cyl. Know anyone in Oregon who wants to make a few bucks?

Thanks, Alan Sherwood Oregon >good luck! have fun in germany! ;) >joel > >