Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Apr 1999 07:24:29 -0500
From:         Richard Dunsheath <rdunsheath@AKAMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Relays Wanted: Air Condtioning
Comments: cc: Chris <JordanVw@aol.com>

I have a 1987 Vanagon that has been having air conditioning problems.

For a while, the air conditioning unit would not shut off. I went in and traced that problem to a relay in the back, behind the panel in the rear on the drivers side.

I found corrosion on a relay, part number 171 937 503A. After cleaning up the corrosion and coating the plastic parts with some dielectric grease, it now shuts off, but it doesn't always run. It also blew a fuse behind the panel recently. Another relay, part number 321 963 141A, sits right next to 171 937 503A, and it seems to have too much wiggle in one of the prongs that go into the mounting point. I would like to replace both of these relays.

If anyone happens to have these relays in good condition in a van that they are parting out, I would like to buy them from you. I tried Bus Depot, but they said that it was VW only part. I tried Jim Thompson, from the Old Volks Home, and while he quoted me a price and I ordered the parts and gave him my credit card number, the parts never showed up and Jim never e-mailed, called, or wrote to tell me what the problem was regarding getting the relays. After 6 months of waiting, I have concluded that Jim probably will not be sending me the needed relays. At least he didn't charge me for the parts on my credit card.

--

Regards,

Rich *************************************** Bryan, TX (1 hour north of Houston, 3 hours east of San Antonio, 3 hours south of Dallas. Near Texas A&M)

1982 Vanagon Santa Maria (Mary) 1982 Vanagon San Diego (Sandy) 1987 Maroon Vanagon (Aggie)