Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:57:09 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@ROADRUNNER.COM>
Subject:      Thunk-Thunk in Front
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker@tusc.net>

-- [ From: John Rodgers * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

From a previous personal post: I have a thunk-thunk up front from driving 1350 miles on I-40.

Hi Joel.

I found the thunking up front in my van. The radiator is loose at the top. Allows the radiator to rock back and forth about 1/4 inch. Every stop and start causes a thunking sound in front as it moves back and forth.

Can't tell for sure by the Bentley's but it appears the radiator has two pins--one on each side at the top, that hold the radiator in gross position. The pins simply slip loosely into a hole in a steel cross piece, then two cardboard air deflectors - one on each side - slip down between the radiator and the front frame of the vehicle. There is a button that pops into a hole in the frame to hold the cardboard in place. It appears these deflectrors act as wedges of sorts to jam the radiator so it won't move. The one on the left side(from drivers position) is gone completely, and the one on the right is coming apart and has lost its rigidity, thereby losing its effect as a wedge.

Would you mind taking a look at yours and see if I am calling this right. I would have thought VW would have put a rubber grommet into the hole where the pin goes, just to secure the pin better. Am I missing other parts as well as the one deflector?

By the way, the machine is running very well after all the work that was done back in Birmingham. Roger Mathews over at Rogers Auto Repair in Bessemmer did a really good job on what he worked on.

Only one other thing...a whine has developed in the rear...and it is related to the engine, not the transaxle. When the engine is revved the whine can be heard. Sounds like the whine the old Greyhound and Trailways buses use to make when they would start off down the road. Only not so loud. Only hear it when starting off. After reaching speed road noise drowns it out. This whine has me mystified, but I am suspicious of alternator bearing problems.

Would appreciate your input. And anyone elses for that matter.

And thanks.

John Rodgers "88 GL Driver