Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:41:24 -0400
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <dfrandolph@TALKAM.NET>
Subject:      '90 2.1 Syncro: Is my Alternator dying? Rebuild or replace?

Similar to Greg Hamburg, my battery/alternator light stays on when I start the engine of my '90 syncro. (Not the OXS light, though.) When I first step on the gas, the light goes off and stays off until the next time I start the engine. The light will not go off unless I rev the engine slightly - I've waited for about a minute. This started happening about a week after I replaced my instrument cluster with one from an '88 (or perhaps '89) with a tachometer, which my "non-GL" didn't have. The new panel also added an OXS light, which I also didn't have before. I'm making the following assumptions...

1) That the alt/bat light starting to come on until I first step on the gas coinciding with the new instrument panel install is just that - pure coincidence.

2) That the light coming on is an early warning sign that my alternator is beginning to fail.

I'm planning to take a long drive this weekend, and I'm wondering if I should pick up an alternator just in case - or even replace mine altogether - before departing. Also, if I don't have to replace the alternator in an emergency situation, I wonder if anyone can point me to a good source of info about testing/rebuilding alternators. I've seen the replacement brushes/bearings at Bus Depot, and that seems like a far more economical way to go if it will fix the problem.

Thanks!

Doug Fitz-Randolph Yarmouth, ME dfrandolph@talkam.net '90 Syncro

[text/html]