Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:44:17 -0700
From:         Bruce Wilbur <bjwilbur@1STCONNECT.COM>
Subject:      Re: engine swaps (long)

Alan:

Here are my thoughts about the engine swap options. All of them have been discussed on the list. There's a wealth of info and opinions in the list archives. No doubt I've left something out. This is just what I've learned but is hardly the final word on vanagon engine conversions.

Tons of info at Toms site as per his reply http://www.relitech.com/tomc/convert.htm

eurospec kit 2.0 l I4 Golf motor - available installed or apparently as a complete kit. Saw it, drove it briefly- substantial horsepower increase, minimal torque difference. Nice professional factory look and feel. Warranty and smog approved for california. A choice worth considering especially if you want someone else to do the install. $$.

do it yourself 2.0 l I4 vw or audi motor setup via David Marshall. Sounds great. Haven't seen it. Should be similar to above. Per reports less $$. May be ideal for do-it yourself situation.

VR6 - I haven't seen a conversion except pictures on someone's webpage from europe. Might be interesting for a very enthusiastic do-it yourself project. Requires raising rear deck lid. Sounds like a huge project overall. No complete kit available.

Subaru opposed 4 cyl. swap. Kennedy engineering makes a kit, you supply the engine and subaru parts. I haven't seen one but several list members sound like they have experience with them and like them. Sounds ideal in some ways such as fit, but may require some tinkering with heating, oil pan and tachometer. Hobert Kennedy has much experience with this conversion and has been helpful when I called him with questions.

GM, Ford and miscellaneous conversions. See Tom's page. I driven a Ford V6 syncro. It drove well and was looked good. Not my first choice since I don't want that big a project nor know much about fords but it may appeal to the person who wants something different such as more horsepower, V6 etc. Kennedy engineering makes adapter kits to make most engines fit the transaxle, but the rest is up to the indivdual- making it fit in the engine compartment, wiring etc.

Porsche opposed 6 conversions. I haven't driven one but my best friend did. He said it was wonderful- smooth and fast. The fit was good. Two drawbacks - 1)$$$ the motors are expensive 2) it's an aircooled engine. Fine if you're putting it into an air cooled van but you have to get creative if you want heat once you've transplanted it into a 'water heated' van. MSDS sells the conversion kits, can install them and apparently has a lot of experience with these conversions.

Audi/Quantum I 5 conversion. So you know my bias, this is what I am choosing. Available currently as a do-it yourself job with a winkler kit from Germany or with a more complete kit from Detlev Hanschke and Ken Wilfy both of whom are active on the list. Mark Drillock had a conversion done and posted details of the process and results to the list 1-3 months ago. I've driven 3 of Detlev's conversions and was pleased with the performance and conversion. Plenty of power wtih a nice broad torque band. Since I have a syncro camper and drive frequently in the mountains I wanted the extra torque. I did not want to have to construct a higher deck lid and Detlev's conversion maintains the stock deck lid height and good ground clearance. Pros are torque, reliability and smoothness with a good fit. Cons would probably be cost though this largely depends on how much you pay for the audi parts and whether you do it yourself. When I was looking the cost was similar to the Eurospec conversion.

VW 1.9 TDI conversion - A great motor. Sounds like a big project to convert from a gas vanagon. Other listmembers know much more about this conversion. It was not an option for me since california smog laws seem to preclude gas>diesel swaps.

Remember to check your state's smog laws before embarking on any conversion.

Some people feel strongly that the waterboxer is just fine and should not be swapped with some other engine. You might do just fine with a new waterboxer engine with you taking care of it from the start.

Sorry for the length of the post. Hope some of this is helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Bruce Wilbur

87 syncro camper