Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:58:54 -0700
From:         Tom Clein <tomkat@ISOMEDIA.COM>
Subject:      Flashing Low Coolant Light (longish)

Yo, Gang. Remember me? The '87 Syncro Westy guy (TOYBOX) with the fresh air fan replacement (dash removal, etc.) about a month ago? Anyway, last you heard from our hero, all was well. After Re/Re, I took TOYBOX to my FLSP to have the cooling system bled and topped off. I lost a bit of coolant (about a gallon?) from the front heater core and a broken right rear head flange on the engine. Service place changed oil/filter (with 20/50W Dino & VW Filter) at same time as bleeding/top off.

All was well until trip home (Seattle area) from Whistler, BC (about 250 miles) 2 weekends ago. 15 minutes into the trip...the low coolant light starts to blink - normal operating temp, though needle seemed to flunctuate a bit more (higher) than before coolant bleeding/top off.

I pulled over, visually checked the coolant level in both tanks (looked good - though overflow tank was over max setting). Started up again...light comes on/goes out as usual at start-up...15 minutes later - same flashing LED. Normal temp, coolant levels (again) looked good so I continued on to US/Canada border until I needed gas at (relatively) cheaper prices in the good, old USA.

I decided to 'top off' expansion tank with water in an attempt to quash the flashing LED. I removed clamp and disconnected hose from expansion tank to overflow tank and twisted the cap off expansion tank. Pressurized coolant immediately rushed to top of expansion tank and leaked through threads of cap/tank. Rather than lose more coolant (overflow tank hose also began to drip coolant in engine compartment)...I re-tightened cap and re-attached hose and drove on. No flashing LED for 15 miles/15 minutes (whichever comes 1st! - YMMV)...then "Here we go, again!" Watched temp gauge (OK) and flashing LED for next 150 miles. Glad I'm not susceptible to epileptic seizures.

Got home, checked coolant level in both tanks next am - filled expansion tank with plain water (system not pressurized - no problem getting cap off)...also filled overflow tank to max line as a small bit of coolant had leaked out of hose at border gas stop. TOYBOX is our 'weekend' driver so the next time I drove it was this past week-end to/from Crystal Mountain (about 80 miles each way). Lo and behold, 15 minutes into trip....low coolant LED flashing again. Oh well.

Searched through archives. Consensus seems to be (in following order of $$$ fix).

1. Air still in cooling system - will take back to FLPS to redo bleed/top-off 2. Incorrect composition of coolant solution - see 1 above 3. Corroded/poor electrical contact in expansion tank coolant level sensor - clean contacts/'crimp', coat plug with dielectric grease or replace sensor 4. Shorted electrical wire/bad ground or contact from sensor(s) (Front & Rear?) to instrument cluster - trace wires looking for short/poor connection 5. Bad 'radiator' (expansion tank) cap - replace 6. Low coolant level control unit - replace 7. Dreaded Head gasket leak - repair

I'll do 3 & 4 before taking back to FLPS to rebleed/top-off cooling system. I'd bleed system myself if I wasn't so concerned about phosphate-free antifreeze finding its way into the groundwater/salmon habitat here...or worse yet - into my 2 dogs/vanagon passengers. Besides, I paid FLSP good $$$ to do the job right the 1st time!

My reason for contacting the list is to see if there's anything I might have missed in searching archives for possible problems/fixes. Please p-mail directly as I've already used up WAY too much bandwidth for this well documented/common affliction. TIA for your collective help.

Happy Motoring!

Tom Clein '87 Syncro Westy 'TOYBOX' or 'Silver Slug', depending on my mood or status of coolant leaks/trail tomkat@isomedia.com