Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:39:02 EDT
From:         Marcus Schaper <v-mschaper@BSS2.UMD.EDU>
Subject:      84 Vanagon 1.9 pulsing idle

Hi everybody, I just subscribed to this list. This Vanagon is my first non-air cooled and fuel injected VW, so I ran into a problem I can't figure out myself: When the engine is warm, the idle starts pulsing. As soon as I put my foot on the gas pedal the problem is gone. Cold idle fine, maybe a bit high but no pulsing. Also, it runs fairly rich, only 14 -19 mpg and it definitely smells rich. And judging from the buses I had before it lacks power and torque. Problems I know of: - oil leak from pushrodtubes on left side - small coolant leak from head gasket on same side What I have done so far: - Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter. - Sealed leak in exhaust pipe, - pulled wires off a little white thingy on the front engine wall that has a small hose coming from Y-piece feeding into it - pulled wires of a valve below the air flow box with two bigger hoses running into it Nothing has changed. I was told to disconnect the idle stabilizer valve. I believe that is the valve below the airflow box I disconnected - correct? What is the possible cause - O2 sensor, ECU, airflow box? Where should I start? BTW, does anyone in the DC area have a decent rear (chrome) bumper for my 84?

Cheers, Marcus

'74 Westfalia deluxe with 914 2.0 '79 Westfalia deluxe '84 Vanagon GL