Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:22:06 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      HELP - Hosed by my Dealer, BIG TIME - RUST Problem
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker@uronramp.net>

Oh no. I now have a BIG expensive concern. I took a look at my paint in the sun today. The sides are COVERED with little pepper-spots of rust, bursting through the paint.

It is obvious that the dealer gave the van a once-over with paint, probably stripped the old, but didn't use primer or proper primer, or worse. In any case, I believe that within a year, all those pepper spots will be the size of quarters. It looked perfect in November when I bought it.

I know this is going to be very expensive to fix properly with a professional.

However, there is a fellow at work, who has all the painting eqipment, seems knowledgable, and has painted about 30 vehicles professionally as a side-line. The thing is, he can no longer do any of this kind of work, due to somehow getting asbestos in his lungs. He says he just chokes up around paint processes.

However, he is willing to loan me his tools, and spend the time to show me how to use them. He has a sandblaster, and paint-spraying equipment etc.

The thing is, is this something that I should not tackle, or give it a go? I am "hoping" that being very careful, patient and studious will make up for years of experience......or at least give me a good job.

Perhaps part of the job I can do myself? If so, which part can be done that will same me some real money?

Finally, is there a good standard reference on the subject on the web, or elsewhere? All I can find on the web are Friendly Local Paint Stores, no techniques.

The paint seems better at and above the window level. However, the hatch is seriously rusting at the spray nozzel on the hatch, and below. I'm thinking getting a used hatch may be a solution, and then stripping and repainting it.

The seams are rusting as well.

My van is white, and at a distance of 24 inches, it still looks great, except for the hatch and seams.

Help!!!!

I am continuously getting positive compliments on my van, and I really will be discouraged if I can't resolve this somehow.

Cheerless,

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy