Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:43:28 -0700
From:         John Scheckel <jscheckel@NUTLEY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Higher temp reading after thermostat change
Comments: To: Chris Bracken <chris@XLNT.COM>

Chris Bracken wrote: > > Greetings: > On the weekend I replaced my thermostat with a new one from the VW dealer; > I had previously ( 6 months ago ) replace temp sensors I and II. > Before, my temp gauge consistently read at about halfway between the LED > and the bottom ( cold ) side of the gauge. This did not change when I > changed temp sensors. I figured that the thermostat was opening too early, > and with a smog check coming up decided to replace it. Now the gauge > consistently reads above the LED ( just above it ). The cooling fan is not > coming on, but the radiator does not seem to be too warm either, and thats > where its sensor is ( I just replace it too!!). Could my new thermostat be > sticky or jammed closed? I figured that it couldn't be completely stuck, > or the temp gauge would just keep going, but it hasn't been all that warm > outside here. I've bled the system twice, on successive days, and did'nt > get any air the second time. Should I just not worry, or should I just buy > another thermostat? > > Thanks, > Chris > 87 Wolfsburg > > PS which way should the little arrow on the thermostat point? I have it going > toward the outlet ( front ) of the housing? On my '87 this is exactly where the temp gauge sits. Not to worry. John S