Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Apr 1999 05:45:43 -0700
From:         Bruce Wilbur <bjwilbur@1STCONNECT.COM>
Subject:      Re: engine swaps

Rick,

I find the 5 cyl exhaust sound more of a throaty purr than the waterboxers putt-putt. I like the sound of the waterboxer, at least partly because I'm accustomed to it. The 5 cyl conversions I've heard so far are somewhat louder than the waterboxer, but I found the sound pleasurable and not intrusive. I would guess that you could make it louder or quieter depending on your choice of exhaust system- others would know more about that aspect.

I am going ahead with the conversion and looking forward to the finished product. At this point Detlev is working on rebuilding the engine (an audi 2.3 which looks like it needed it). If there's sufficient interest I'll keep the list updated of my experiences, though Mark Drillock covered the process well when he had his conversion done.

Sincerely,

Bruce Wilbur

87 syncro westy