Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:57:57 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Syncro and Long Trip w/o Front Drive Shaft?
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>

AFAIK the VC acts on a "churning" principal. If the silicon stuff in between the parallel plates gets sturred up due to different plate speeds (odd plate to the front, even plate to the rear) it turns from jelly to a solid. So i don't think it could sence a directional difference in speeds.

At 08:17 13/04/1999 -0700, Brent Christensen wrote: >Good question, but I would reason that the VC takes its "input" from the >front tires/axles and compares it to the speed of the drive line (otherwise >tire size wouldn't be as important, right?). If the driveline is moving >*faster* relative to the fronts, only then the VC would kick in. With the >drive line removed, the drive line would be moving *slower* relative to the >front tires/axles. I have to assume that VW/SDP engineers, in their >infinite wisdom, planned on this... > > Just taking a stab in the dark - I'm sure some of you engineer-types >already have this one figured out (and exhaustively documented) :-) > >Brent Christensen >'89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" >'91 Taurus SHO (For Sale) >'95 Cherokee Sport > >----- Original Message ----- >From: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Monday, April 12, 1999 8:25 PM >Subject: Re: Syncro and Long Trip w/o Front Drive Shaft? > > >> I have often pondered this in my head, somehow I think you may be driving >> with your VC locked the whole way if you removed your drive shaft. I >could >> be wrong with my theory but, if there VC is speed dependant when it locks >> then 0km/h + 100km/h = locked VC, if there is nothing spinning the input >> due to no drive shaft and the out put is spinning away due to driving then >> wouldn't it lock? >> >> Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Volkswagen drove a Syncro around >the >> Germany with no rear axles, making it a front wheel drive for the whole >> trip. Supposededly no problems after doing that kind of abuse. >> >> Just my confused 0.02 worth. >> >> At 19:12 12/04/1999 -0300, Malcolm Stebbins wrote: >> >I am planning a long trip - Nova Scotia to Arizona - and back this >> >summer. I have no plans for needing the 4WD except for maybe 2 >> >weeks in Arizona and New Mexico. My questions are: >> > >> >1) would you recommend removing the front drive shaft for the trip >> > (I can carry it with me and reinstall if/when I need it). >> > >> >2) Any damage in driving long periods w/o the front drive shaft? >> > (my goal is to save the wear and tear on the VC and drive shaft >> > if not needed) >> > >> >Yes, I have the posts about removing and re-installing the front >> >drive shaft. Thanks, Malcolm S >> > >> > >> >> -- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- >> -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ, 85 VW Cabriolet -- >> -- 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab, WANTED: VW / Bombardier Iltis -- >> -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- >> -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- >> -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) -- > >