Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:04:13 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon engine swaps
Comments: To: "David..M" <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM>

At 09:45 13/04/1999 -0400, David..M wrote: >David Marshall wrote: >> >> The conversion uses a lot of stock parts, but they arn't the Diesel parts, >> it is a mix of Audi and inline Volkswagen parts and some custom >> manufactured parts. >> >> For those who have been following progress for the kit, it will be ready >> mid May. I did a major redesign to the motor mount system as I was not >> happy with the vibration level with the former mounts, this put the mid >> April time line behind a bit. Now there are NO vibrations in the cab which >> I am quite please with and it is a simpler install. The first production >> run will start in two weeks when I have more cash to thow at this project - >> R+D is expensive! >> >> Final pricing will be available in a few weeks I *hope* to get it in the >> sub $3000 USD range including a used 2.0L engine. For those who have >> contacted me in the past about this conversion kit I will notify you via >> email when the final pricing is arrived at. >> >Are you going to offer installation for non do-it-yourselfers?

Sure.

>Is there a warranty?

Yes. It varries from part to part and on who does the installation. Please email or call me for a general breakdown.

>Also, have you investigated the problems (eg. customs duties) associated >with the fact that you are in Canada and most of your customers will >probably be in the USA ?

NAFTA states that made in Canada automotive parts are duty free when entering the USA and vice versa. All of the components are made in Canada or the USA with the exception of some of the engines. Some 2.0L engines are made in Germany and are subject to a 9% duty and some engines are made in Mexico which again fall under NAFTA and are duty free. There is also a clause that remanufactured engines are exempt from duty and I have to see what constitutes as a reman engine.

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab, WANTED: VW / Bombardier Iltis -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --