Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Apr 1999 01:23:10 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      2 Vanagons in N.NJ junk yard

Hello--

For those of you near northern NJ, I found two Vanagons in a wrecking yard. In my experience junked Vanagons in this area are pretty scarce-- so I figured I'd share the wealth (translation: "I took everything I needed")

They are at Cobra Wrecking yard on Parsippany Road in Whippany, NJ.

These buses are far from pristine. They are an 84? and maybe an 89? Weekender with a hard top (no pop top).Both have engines and transes. The 84 is a manual. The 89 is an automatic. Both are missing the windshields so the interiors are a little rough.

The 89, I'm guessing it's about an 89. It has the square headlights, but the upper grill is now missing. (the lower one is there). The instrument pod with the speedo and tach is there. The tach has the big green and then red triangle on it's face, so I think that makes it a later 80s model (?). But because the windshield is gone the cluster has been subject to weather. And the digital clock has puddles in it. So I'm guessing it won't work. The black padded dash is there and seems ok.

The interior is grey velour and it has both rear-facing seats and the table and the rear bench. But they're not in great shape. They're dirty mostly and one is scuffed up pretty good with small tears in the plastic side upholstry. But as near as I could tell all the brackets were there for the rear facing seats. It also has power windows and power door locks. The power mirrors were gone. I think all the doors were there, and except for the windshield all the glass. I thas the overhead AC vents up by the driver. (And the odometer reads 86,000 FWIW)

The '84, I think. (It has the round headlights and is a water-cooled gas engine.) The parts on this one are the upper front grill, the lower one is there but cracked. All the doors and rear deck are there. The engine and manual trans are still in the bus. I have no idea of the condition. The instrument pod with the speedo and large clock are there. BUT the windshield is gone so it's been getting wet along with the rest of what's left of the interior. There is only one seat left and it is the rear bench in brown leatherette, (or whatever they called plastic that year). The shift is gone. All the glass is there except the windshield. If you need more specifics p-mail me and I'll try to help you out.

Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC