Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Apr 1999 01:14:11 EDT
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <schaper@pop.wam.umd.edu>
From:         Marcus Schaper <marcus@SCHAPER.COM>
Subject:      Pulsing idle UPDATE

I received a number of replies concerning my earlier post. Some of them were by people having similiar problems. So here is a list of suggestions from the list and what I have done so far. SUGGESTIONS: - Replace the idle stabilizer (balck little elecrical box located behind the right tail light) with one from the junk yard. - Disconnect the idle throttle switch or lower idle RPM - Replace O2 sensor: BOS 11027 OXYGEN SENSOR single wire $32.20 this one is a great universal replacement that's still Bosch if yours is single wire. BOS 11929 OXYGEN SENSOR (OEM) $64.10 this is the stock OEM replacement. prices from www.fastgermanauto.com - check the coolant sensor - check the air flow meter - go through the idle setting scenario in Bentley - check all wiring in the engine area, see if anything is frayed or corroded - check the throttle position switch for proper adjustment

WHAT I HAVE DONE: - checked all the wiring - checked the throttle switches (both click in the extreme positions) - disconnect the idle position switch

Now the pulsing is gone, but my idle is way to high. I don't have a tach but my guess is in the 1500 - 1700 range. Now there is no change in idle speed between warmup and warm engine. Judging from that, is my coolant temp sensor the problem? I guess if the ECU doesn't get proper temp readings, it causes the engine to run rich to compensate for supposedly cold outside temperatures.

Cheers, Marcus

58 Opel Olympia Rekord P CarAvan 59 Trabant 500 60 Opel Olympia Rekord P CarAvan 61 Opel Olympia Rekord PII 2-door 61 Trabant 600 74 Westfalia deluxe 79 Westfalia deluxe 84 Vanagon GL - daily driver