Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:52:30 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wolfsburg bumper kit or rear black fiberglass bumper wanted
Comments: To: "Jon R. Williams" <jorw@VALUE.NET>

> Does anyone know where I can get a used or good price on new > either Wolfsburg bumper kit or rear black fiberglass bumper with > endcaps for an 89 Vanagon GL Camper???

I stock a European-made aftermarket "Wolfsburg-like" bumper kit that will fit any Vanagon, for $499 complete, including front and rear bumpers plus side skirts. This is less than the price of one new original plastic Vanagon bumper.

The front and rear bumpers are plastic like the Wolfsburg ones and come painted black, but of course can be painted to match. They have a slightly thinner profile, allowing them to be used with the stock bumper mounts on a Vanagon that didn't come with the plastic bumpers. I suspect that if your Vanagon DID come with the plastic bumpers, you may have to break off the two mounting tabs that protrude upward from your front bumper mount, but I'm not positive of this. One note, these bumpers are at least as flimsy as the stock ones, if not slightly more so. If you hit something, they'll crack just like the stock ones. Then again, the metal ones crumple just about as easily. The truth is, these (and the stock ones) are bumper covers. The front "bumper" itself is the metal protrusion that is built into the Vanagon body; it absorbs the impact, while the plastic bumper cover (stock or aftermarket) is merely cosmetic. That said, I'll add that despite this, the Vanagon is quite safe in a front collision in my opinion. I had a parts Vanagon once that had gone through a building at 40 mph, and while totaled, fared better than the building. The driver walked away; the building was closed for a week.

Also included in the $499 price are side door skirts, similar to the Wolfsburg ones except that they lack the cosmetic raised ridge that the original ones have. The skirts do not come with mounting hardware, having been included somewhat as an afterthought, but it looks to me like constructing a bracket would not be very difficult. (Then again, perhaps a dealer Wolfsburg bracket would work, or you could use your stock skirts if you have a later year.)

Finally, skirts for under the rocker panels are also included. They are metal and do not go partially up the side of the vehicle like the Wolfsburg ones do; rather, they bolt directly to the bottom of your rocker panels, and do look quite good with the rest of the kit.

For a fraction of the price of the Wolfsburg bumpers, these give you a similar-to-Wolfsburg look. They do look quite sharp installed, as you can see by viewing the picture of the van at http://www.busdepot.com/spoiler.htm . It has these bumpers installed, including the rocker panel skirts but sans the door skirts that are now included at no extra charge. (And no, the image is not reversed, it is a right-hand-drive Vanagon that my friends at Just Kampers in the UK take to local VW events.)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com